Windows 10 Internet connection sharing
- Run a command prompt with admin privileges (if unfamiliar with this just search for CMD on the desktop toolbar search, then right click the "Command Prompt" app it finds and run as admin)
- Type: NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Your_SSID key=Your_Passphrase
- (In the above replace 'Your SSID' with desired network name and 'Your Passphrase' with a security code of at least 8 letters/digits)
- Type: NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork
- Now do steps 1 to 4 as described in the OP above.
- You should now have options in the home networking drop-down menu
- For step 5, it might not be called 'Microsoft Hosted Virtual Adapter', mine was called 'Local Area Connection 3', but it was identified as an MS virtual adapter in its properties. I also had an entry just called 'wifi' - don't use this one, didn't work for me.
- If you want to disable this virtual adapter in the future use the following commands:
NETSH WLAN stop hostednetwork
NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode= disallow